Just like any other complex machinery, air conditioners are prone to different types of maintenance issues, some of which can be dealt easily at home and others require the intervention of a licensed technician. If these issues are neglected, the outcome would be increased energy bills, potential health hazards, and a shortened lifespan of the unit. This is what dust, debris, and mould can do to your unit if left unattended. With over 15 years of industry experience, we at DGB Refrigeration Heating & Cooling understand the importance of regular air conditioner service to ensure optimal performance, energy efficiency, and the well-being of your household.
Signs Your Air Conditioner Needs Service
If you are unsure whether your air conditioner needs a service or not, there are a couple of signs that if observed in the unit, indicate that your air conditioner is due for a service. Some of these signs are the following:
- Decreased Efficiency: If your unit is not cooling as effectively as it used to, it may need attention. A decrease in efficiency can lead to higher energy bills as the unit will need to work harder to achieve the desired temperature.
- Unusual Noises: If you have noticed sounds such as grinding, squealing, or banging indicate potential issues. If these noises are attended to in a timely manner, it can prevent these noises from escalating into major problems that would cost you a fortune to fix.
- Poor Air Quality: If you have observed a noticeable decline in your indoor air quality, your air conditioner’s filters and coils may need cleaning or replacement. You can book a service call with DGB Refrigeration Heating & Cooling by dialling 03 7038 6918.
- Foul Odors: Unpleasant smells can be a warning sign of mold or bacteria growth in the unit. Getting your air conditioner regularly serviced prevents these issues and ensures the air remains fresh.
Is Yearly AC Maintenance Necessary?
You may be wondering if getting your air conditioner professionally serviced at least once a year is necessary or even worth it. If so, the answer is, absolutely yes. Getting your air conditioner maintenance done at least once a year is crucial for several reasons:
- Peak Efficiency: Regular service maintains the efficiency of your unit, which would otherwise drop by up to five percent per year.
- Reduced Bills: Getting your air conditioner serviced regularly would result in reduced energy bills as your unit would be performing in its top shape.
- Extended Lifespan: Regularly maintaining your air conditioner increases the overall lifespan of your unit.
- Preventative Measures: If you are getting your unit regularly maintained, it can help identify and addresses minor issues before they become major, expensive problems.
- Warranty Preservation: If you are not getting your unit professionally serviced, it can void your warranty.
- Seasonal Preparations: It can prepare your unit for seasonal changes, ensuring comfort levels all year round.
How Often Should Air Conditioner Maintenance Be Done?
Regardless of their type, age, or model, the majority of air conditioning systems must be professionally serviced at least once a year. For your particular unit, you can check the system manual for specific instructions. Particularly ducted units, with their complex structure, can need extra care. Our skilled technicians at DGB Refrigeration Heating & Cooling make sure that your system runs as efficiently as possible.
Maintenance Tasks You Can Perform
While professional maintenance is essential for the optimal performance of your unit, there are certain tasks you can perform monthly without seeking guidance from a professional:
- Check Air Filters: You can first check the air filters of your unit and ensure that they are not clogged with dirt, dust, or debris.
- Check Operation Pad: Ensure all lights on the operation pad are working properly.
- Inspect Vents: Confirm that the air being expelled from the vents in all rooms is clean.
- Monitor Outside Unit: Listen for any unusual noises or odors from the outside unit.
How to Clean Your Split System
For split systems, you can undertake certain maintenance tasks yourself:
- Turn Off Electricity: Before cleaning, turn off electricity at power points and the circuit board.
- Follow Manufacturer’s Instructions: Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for proper cleaning steps.
- Clean Filter Panels: Remove filter pads from the unit, clean them, and ensure they are thoroughly dry before reinstallation.
- Clean Air Blades: Wipe down and clean the oscillating air blades and the space behind them.
- Exterior Wipe Down: Clean the exterior casing, removing leaves, dust, and cobwebs.
Signs Your System Needs Professional Service
Certain maintenance tasks and faults require a licensed technician, including:
- Refrigerant Levels: Incorrect refrigerant levels can affect efficiency and increase power bills.
- Electrical Components: Worn-out components can lead to system failure.
- Condensation Drain: A clogged drain can cause musty smells and water damage.
- Frozen Evaporator Coil: Reduced airflow can cause the coil to freeze.
- Dirty System Coils: Outdoor coils can become loaded with debris, affecting performance.
- Dislocated Thermostat: A misaligned thermostat can disrupt temperature regulation.
- Damaged Ducts: Leaks and damage compromise efficiency and air quality.
- Blocked Ducts: Obstructions lead to inefficiencies and increased energy bills.
- Inadequate Supply Ducts: Poorly designed systems struggle to heat or cool effectively.
AC Maintenance Cost Guide
The cost of air conditioner maintenance varies based on factors like age and type. There are technicians out there that charge over $300 for an air conditioning service call. However, at DGB Refrigeration Heating & Cooling, we provide transparent and competitive pricing, ensuring you receive the best value for your investment. Our service call cost starts as low as $220 for 1 unit per property. Contact us at 03 7038 6918 to schedule an appointment and safeguard your home’s comfort or learn more about our services. We are just a phone call away!