All gas heaters release carbon monoxide (CO), a gas that cannot be seen or smelled but has the potential to kill you.
One of the most common concerns individuals have when it comes to winter heating is carbon monoxide poisoning. Since carbon monoxide has no flavor, color, or odor, it is frequently referred to as a “silent killer” since it may accumulate in your house undetected. When that happens, you can feel drowsy and faint before you know what’s happening. If you become debilitated, you risk death if you aren’t taken swiftly to a location with fresh oxygen. To determine for yourself if your space heater is safe, it’s critical to precisely evaluate your risk.
Since you can’t see or smell it, you won’t be able to determine if your heater is leaking carbon monoxide. Ensure the safety of your gas heater. Have a licensed gasfitter service it at least once every two years.
Patients with symptoms or worries about carbon monoxide poisoning may see general practitioners or emergency rooms. It’s conceivable that carbon monoxide poisoning is not taken into account and the patient is sent home with catastrophic or even deadly effects because these symptoms are non-specific and commonly arise as a result of other, more prevalent diseases. The source of carbon monoxide may be at the workplace, the house, a car with a leaky exhaust system, or caravans. The most frequent sources in the house are broken gas cooking and heating equipment.
A number of symptoms, including headache, nausea and vomiting, flushing, muscular pain, shortness of breath, disorientation, problems with coordination, confusion, or chest discomfort, may be brought on by the odorless, colorless gas known as carbon monoxide. The non-specific symptoms might be confused for the flu or even food poisoning. Carbon monoxide at extremely high concentrations can result in death, loss of consciousness, and convulsions.
Anyone concerned about carbon monoxide poisoning should:
In addition to impairing thinking and attention, prolonged exposure to low amounts of carbon monoxide can also cause emotional lability, irritability, and impulsiveness.
Here at DGB Refrigeration Heating and Cooling, we carry out carbon monoxide testing to check for any leaks. We will also take a look at your gas heater to see if any safety warnings have been issued. If any CO leaks are found, we can repair the problem and check again to make sure it’s completely resolved. If your gas heater is old, it may be better to get it replaced now but our technician will advise if this is necessary. Don’t underestimate the risk of carbon monoxide. Book your CO check with DGB Refrigeration Heating and Cooling today.
It’s challenging to detect CO within your house. It has no taste or smell and is invisible. By depriving the body of oxygen and affecting intellect and reflexes, it can have harmful consequences on people. A residence using an unflued gas heater will experience an increase in CO levels.
CO poisoning might result from a heater that was improperly installed or one that was placed in a space with insufficient fresh air. Flu-like symptoms, headaches, dizziness, weakness, vomiting, shortness of breath, disorientation, blurred vision, and loss of consciousness are among the signs and symptoms of CO poisoning. CO poisoning can be fatal. Heart disease sufferers, young children, expectant mothers, and the elderly are among those who are most vulnerable to the health impacts of CO.
Carbon monoxide is emitted by gas heaters when the combustion process is not complete, which results in significant carbon monoxide production. This is the biggest danger with gas ducted heaters that haven’t been maintained or are broken.
Your gas heater needs routine maintenance to ensure that it runs smoothly and safely when you need it, just like your air conditioner does. Gas heaters produce carbon monoxide, an odorless byproduct of incomplete combustion of LPG or natural gas, which, if not adequately vented outdoors, can have major health effects. Your gas fitter will examine each component “thermostat, burner, flues, etc”. during a gas heater service to make sure they are all secure. A carbon monoxide check is one of the most crucial components of the gas heater servicing to make sure your heater isn’t harming your health.
Intoxication with carbon monoxide can result in headaches, exhaustion, and even death. Therefore, if you use gas heaters, be careful to get them periodically serviced by a licensed gas expert. Keep the space well-ventilated and check that the flues are not obstructed when the gas heater is on.